We’ve used Great Value Maple Syrup liquid for the past few years add maple flavor to almond drinks, cereals, and of course, pancakes and waffles. This pure maple syrup product of the USA and Canada is a pleasing substitute to table sugar and corn syrup-based maple syrup products, as it supplies the unique natural maple flavor that makes real maple syrup so worth the extra expense over the man-made varieties of maple-flavored corn syrup. The Great Value grade A maple syrup, distributed by Walmart stores, has 50 calories per tablespoon, and appears to equal honey and agave nectar in terms of sweetness. However, I’d suggest that you not use maple syrup in place of these other sweeteners, as its flavor interacts differently with the foods you put it on. Thus, the resulting flavors may not be what you desired or expected. Pure maple syrup, though it consists of almost pure sugar, also has some nutritional value, as it us typically unbleached, thus preserving the natural compounds within that come from the maple tree.
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- Medium strength maple taste. The Great Value brand of dark amber grade A syrup impresses the palate as a, moderate-strength maple flavor, and has a pronounced maple aroma; not a strong scent, just a definite and pleasant one. However, this brand of maple syrup appears darker than than the Great Value brand of pure maple syrup (reviewed later), and has a stronger flavor (though not sweeter, but also more uniquely maple and natural-tasting).
- A darker dark amber. This syrup is clear and indeed, dark amber in color; a bit darker than both honey and agave nectar. So it does can darken the colors of foods or beverages you put it in.
- Quickly dissolves. Dissolves completely and rapidly in hot drinks. It’s easier to dissolve than honey, and so, requires just one stirring, as it does not tend to separate after it’s completely dissolved in beverages.
- A common pancake garnish. Pure maple syrup lover since we first learned about it nearly a decade ago, We’re pleased that through products such as this offering from the Great Value brand, all-natural maple syrup has certainly moved into widespread distribution and sale here in North America. That’s been true for decades, although they do not move as much of this as the corn-syrup-based, artificially-flavored syrups yet, perhaps due to the significant added costs of producing pure maple syrup from the sap of the maple tree.
- Gentle on digestion. We’ve never experienced any intestinal or stomach problems from this great-tasting all-natural syrup.
- Pretty thick. Indeed has a syrupy feel to it, but significantly thinner than honey. In fact, real maple syrup tends to flow more freely (thinner) than the imitation varieties.
- Real glass container. They package this product in a genuine glass bottle; no doubt to minimize leeching of compounds in plastic into the maple syrup, which can destroy the so-delicate natural maple flavor.
- When they talk about the classic taste of pancakes and pure maple syrup, they must have had the Great Value brand in mind indeed.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Limitations
- Only sold at Wal Mart. This brand is found exclusively at Walmart grocery stores however. So you might not be able to get it if there’s no Walmart near you.
- Takes more to sweeten tea. To adequately sweeten tea, three to four tablespoons of this product are required to suit our tastes; much more than the zero-calorie liquid stevia products that require far less than one tablespoon. This can further drive up the cost of pure maple syrup as a tea sweetener and add lots of calories besides. However, this is true of all maple syrups I’ve tried, and so, is not endemic to the Great Value brand of pure maple syrup.
- Wimpy maple flavor strength. the maple flavor in this Great Value pure maple syrup is noticeably weaker than that found in name brands such as Maple Grove Farms. However, this maple syrup is still just as sweet as the name brands, and is identical in its dark amber color.
- Can attract insects. If spilled, any maple syrup, natural or not, can draw bugs, just as spilled sugar or sugary syrup might. Like you would with sugar, take care during clean-up that you leave no sticky syrup behind that could attract ants and roaches. It’s a cinch to clean and quite water-soluble. So a wet dish rag effectively removes spills. The darkness of this pure maple syrup makes it easy to see if spilled on counters and tables.
- Expensive as a sweetener. Can indeed cost more than sugar per pound; though it’s somewhat cheaper than the Maple Grove Farms syrup. I currently pay roughly $6.50 for one 12.5-ounce bottle, which lasts several days when used exclusively to sweeten my morning tea, or lasts through two or three pancake meals. I’m pleased that the Great Value brand of dark amber maple syrup has become so ubiquitous through Walmart.
To summarize: We recommend Great Value Grade A Dark Amber Pure Maple Syrup, and would rate it at 94 out of 100 over all. It’s q good quality yet exceptionally affordable syrup product.
Where To Buy Great Value Grade A Dark Amber Pure Maple Syrup
Look for the clear glass bottle with the white label that is capped with a blue lid exclusively at your Walmart grocery stores and super centers. You’ll probably agree that you need do without no sweetness to get the health benefits of natural maple syrup found in this product. But go easy on consuming any pure maple syrup, because though it may be healthier than sugar, it nonetheless still contains about as much sugar as agave nectar and honey. Enjoying this product in moderation therefore, is likely the healthiest way to enjoy it. Still though, if you must consume calories to experience great maple flavor in food, then this pure maple syrup from Great Value is among the healthiest, most nutritious sources of sweetness per calorie around. So enjoy it.
- 2015-01-15: Updated content, reassigned categories and tags, added whitespace, and adjusted ad placement.
- 2012-03-08: Originally published.