Herr’s Jalapeno Poppers Flavored Cheese Curls Review, a highly flavorful and spicy snack offers a crunchy and well-heated jalapeno pepper bite, for those times when a mild-flavored snack simply will not do.
Benefits, Advantages, Pros, and Features
- Not sure why they called this snack “curls,” as most of the curls in my bag were quite straight. Each curl is roughly three inches long and about three eighths of an inch in diameter. They look like little torpedoes. Very uniform in shape throughout the entire bag.
- The product smells strongly of jalapeno pepper, and tastes strongly of it as well.
- Definitely has some kick, but not excessive.
- Really tastes like jalapeno peppers; not just because of the kick either.
- Oven-baked, although this process seems not to have reduced the fat content very much in this product.
- In addition to the jalapeno, cheddar cheese is the other prominent flavor.
- Very crunchy for cheese curls. Similar to Cheetos brand curls. Not softly crunchy as many other brand of corn curls are.
- The 1.23-ounce single-serving bag kept the corn curls fresh until I got hold of them.
- They look like other brand of cheese curls, with their bright orange color. But these also display some dark specs; presumably the jalapeno pepper or other spice bits.
- Made from the finest ingredients for maximum freshness and great taste.
- The curls stand up well to rough handling and shipment. I found few if any crumbs and broken curls at the bottom of the bag.
- Made with real cheddar cheese.
- Product keeps well for a few months after purchase (at least), and at purchase, it’s guaranteed fresh.
- Not much of an oily taste here, although they did leave a thick coating of the cheddar cheese powder on my fingers after eating.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- Significant saturated fat, at 4 grams per serving.
- Same for the sodium, at 430 milligrams per serving.
- No fiber here.
- Heavy on the artificial colors.
- You cannot actually see the contents of the bag until you open it. No transparency here. However, the picture of the product on the bag looks pretty much like what’s inside. In fact, the color of the actual product may be a bit brighter.
- The bag is not re closeable. But the serving size is so small that you’ll likely finish the entire bag in one sitting. So re sealing is unnecessary, generally speaking.
- Hard to stop eating them until the whole bag is gone, which is why it’s nice that they’re available in such small bags.
Corn meal, vegetable oil (one or more of the following: corn, cottonseed, palm), maltodextrin, whey, salt, monosodium glutamate, cheddar cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), sunflower oil, nonfat milk, sugar, dextrose, spices, sodium phosphate, onion powder, garlic powder, artificial colors (yellow 6, yellow 5), green bell pepper powder, torula yeast, modified tapioca starch, sodium diacetate, citric acid, butter, natural flavor, lactic acid, chipotle pepper, dried parsley, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, modified corn starch, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate, spice extracts, paprika extract, natural and artificial flavors, and anatto.
Contains milk ingredients.
No preservatives added.
- Serving size: 1 bag (18 curls or 35 grams). Servings per container: 1.
- Calories per serving: 190. Calories from fat: 110.
- Total fat: 13 grams, 20% DV.
- Saturated fat: 4 grams, 20% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 430 milligrams, 18% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 18 grams, 6% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Sugars: 2 grams.
- Protein: 1 gram.
- Vitamin A: 0% DV.
- Calcium: 0% DV.
- Vitamin C: 4% DV.
- Iron: 0% DV.
While this is by no means a health food, it’s great hold-over snack, for those times when you just need a small amount of food, to stop the hunger pangs until it’s time for the next major meal. The saturated fat and sodium levels are a little higher than I’d prefer. But the flavor is unsurpassed. So I’d rate this snack item at 88 out of 100.
Where to Buy
I often see this size bag of this Herr’s product in snack vending machines throughout my local area. Look for them in the green, orange, and white bag.
- : Adjusted category and tag assignments, fixed typos, and added white space.
- 2012-09-21: Originally published.