I’ve used Maple Grove Farms Grade A Dark Amber Pure Maple Syrup liquid for nearly a decade to add maple flavor to almond drinks, cereals, and of course, pancakes and waffles. To me, this pure maple syrup product of Vermont, USA is a pleasant alternative to table sugar and corn syrup-based sweetener products, as it supplies the unique natural maple flavor that makes real maple syrup so worth the extra expense over the man-made varieties of maple-flavored corn syrup. The Maple Grove Farms grade A maple syrup has 50 calories per tablespoon, and appears to equal honey and agave nectar in terms of sweetness. However, I’d suggest that you not use maple syrup in place of these other sweeteners, as it’s flavor interacts differently with the foods you put it on. Thus, the resulting flavors may not be what you expected or wanted.
Pure maple syrup, though it consists of almost pure sugar, also has some nutritional value, as it us typically unbleached, thus preserving the natural compounds within that come from the maple tree.
Healthful Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- Maple Grove Farms pure maple syrup dissolves completely and quickly in hot drinks. It’s easier to dissolve than honey.
- This version of pure maple syrup requires just one stirring, as it does not tend to separate after it’s completely dissolved in beverages.
- The Maple Grove Farms brand of dark amber grade A syrup impresses the palate as a, moderate-strength maple flavor, and has a pronounced maple aroma; not a strong scent, just a definite and pleasant one. However, this brand of maple syrup appears darker than than the Great Value brand of pure maple syrup (reviewed later), and has a stronger flavor (though not sweeter, but also more uniquely maple and natural-tasting).
- Maple Grove Farms pure maple syrup is clear and indeed, dark amber in color; a bit darker than both honey and agave nectar. So it does can darken the colors of foods or beverages you put it in.
- A pure maple syrup lover since I first learned about it nearly a decade ago, I’m pleased that through products such as this offering from the Maple Grove Farms brand, all-natural maple syrup has certainly moved into widespread distribution and sale here in North America. That’s been true for decades, although they do not move as much of this as the corn-syrup-based, artificially-flavored syrups yet, perhaps due to the significant added costs of producing pure maple syrup from the sap of the maple tree.
- Nonetheless, I’ve found Maple Grove Farms pure maple syrup easy to find in the bigger local grocery stores. So one usually needs not to travel to a designated health food store just to get it. Most stores in my area have Maple Grove Farms syrup these days.
- I’ve never experienced any intestinal or stomach problems from this great-tasting grade A dark amber maple syrup.
- This Maple Grove Farms syrup indeed has a syrupy feel to it, but significantly thinner than honey. In fact, real maple syrup tends to flow more freely (thinner) than the imitation varieties.
- They package this product in a genuine glass bottle; no doubt to minimize leeching of compounds in plastic into the maple syrup, which can destroy the so-delicate natural maple flavor.
- When they talk about the classic taste of pancakes and pure maple syrup, they must have had the Maple Grove Farms brand in mind indeed.
Disadvantages, Cons, Dietary Concerns, and Problems
- To adequately sweeten my tea, I must use three to four tablespoons of this product; unlike the liquid stevia products I use that require far less than one tablespoon. This can further drive up the cost of pure maple syrup as a tea sweetener and add lots of calories besides. However, this is true of all maple syrups I’ve tried, and so, is not endemic to the Maple Grove Farms brand of pure maple syrup.
- If spilled, any maple syrup, natural or not, can draw bugs, just as spilled sugar or sugary syrup might. Like you would with sugar, take care during clean-up that you leave no sticky syrup behind that could attract ants and roaches. It’s easy to clean and quite water-soluble. So a wet dish rag effectively removes spills. The darkness of this pure maple syrup makes it easy to see if spilled on counters and tables.
- Maple Grove Farms pure maple syrup can indeed cost more than sugar per pound. I currently pay roughly $7.40 for one 12.5-ounce bottle, which lasts several days when used exclusively to sweeten my morning tea, or lasts through two or three pancake meals. I’m pleased that the Maple Grove Farms brand of dark amber maple syrup has become so ubiquitous.
To summarize then, I like Maple Grove Farms Grade A Dark Amber Pure Maple Syrup. I’d rate it at 92 out of 100.
Where To Buy
Look for the clear glass bottle with the red, green, yellow, and white label that is capped with a black lid at your favorite grocers. I suspect that you’ll agree that you need sacrifice no sweetness to gain the health benefits of natural maple syrup found in this product.
But go easy on consuming this uniquely-flavored maple syrup, because though it may be healthier than sugar, the bottom line is that it still contains as much sugar as regular agave nectar and honey. Enjoying this product in moderation therefore, is likely the healthiest way to enjoy it. Still though, if you must consume calories to experience great maple flavor in food, then this pure maple syrup from Maple Grove Farms is among the healthiest, most nutritious sources of sweetness per calorie around. Enjoy it.
- 2014-11-25: Extended the References section, added whitespace for enhanced readability, and adjusted advertisement placements.
- 2012-03-08: Originally published.