The advantages and benefits of fresh squeezed orange juice are almost too numerous to mention. But here are just a few. Orange juice is healthy with its mounds of naturally occurring vitamin C. Drinking a bottle of this Simply Orange 100% Pure Squeezed Pulp Free Orange Juice is a great measure for preventing common colds, and its sweet yet somewhat sour flavor energizes like a shot of caffeine. Plus, it tastes great, without having to acquire a taste for it. I’ve enjoyed this (sort-of) fresh squeezed juice as an occasional treat for a few months now, although I do not stock pile it here at the house. I only buy one or two bottles at a time, as I tend to over-drink it if I keep more than that around. It’s just too delicious. It goes well with breakfast, or even as a supper time meal wash.
I just finished a 13.5-ounce bottle with my steak salad for supper tonight, and mmmmm mmmmm! With this juice, you need no dessert.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- Not from concentrate. This juice is, as it was, when fresh squeezed from oranges, without added water.
- Pasteurized. However, this detracts relatively little from that all-important, fresh squeezed flavor.
- Great source of calcium and vitamin D.
- You get a full day’s supply of vitamin C from this juice product.
- Contains no preservatives.
- This is a very sweet juice beverage, but all that sweetness is all natural. No added sugars here.
- The best-if-used-by date is a couple of months out. So you can keep it in the refrigerator for six to eight weeks if you’ve not yet opened it. If you have, then it will keep for seven days or so.
- They fortify this juice with vitamin D and calcium. However, this operation does not seem to degrade the taste.
- The serving size here (one bottle) is actually pretty big for orange juice, which I prefer. Often, you get single servings of orange juice in these little six-ounce containers. Not this product. It’s serving size is nearly two full cups. Sweet.
- Drinking this product quickly quells any sugar cravings I may be having. Yet it’s not very addictive itself.
- Caffeine and sodium free.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- At 190 calories for 13.5 ounces, this fruit juice product has about as many calories as a can of regular (non diet) soda pop. But at least, it has much nutrition that pop does not.
- This is a pulp free product, which means that it has a bit less fiber than orange juice right from the orange. I prefer pulpy myself.
- Though it is pulp free, you still have to vigorously shake it before drinking, to assure a well-blended orange flavor.
- Plastic bottle for packaging here. I prefer glass for the best possible flavor preservation.
- Must always be refrigerated, even prior to first opening.
- This is not an organic fruit juice product.
- Plus, it’s a bit costly, at roughly $2 per 13.5-ounce bottle at my nearby convenience store. But now and then, it’s worth the price, and seems to satisfy my sweet tooth as well as a pint of Breyers vanilla ice cream (reviewed here), but with less than half the calories.
Orange juice. Less than 1% of calcium phosphate* and calcium lactate* (calcium sources), vitamin D3*
* = Ingredients not found in regular orange juice.
- Serving size: 1 bottle (400 milliliters or 13.5 ounces). Servings per container: 1.
- Calories: 190. Calories from fat: 0
- Total fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Potassium: 760 milligrams, 22% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 43 grams, 6% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 0 grams, 0%.
- Sugars: 38 grams.
- Protein: 3 grams, 11% DV.
- Vitamin C: 120% DV.
- Calcium: 60% DV.
- Vitamin D: 25% DV.
- Thiamin: 15% DV.
- Niacin: 4% DV.
- Vitamin B6: 8% DV.
- Folate: 25% DV.
- Magnesium: 10% DV.
For a mass-packaged product, this juice tastes surprisingly fresh squeezed; especially since it’s pasteurized. Amazing how they can keep it so fresh-tasting for days in the store cooler. I love fresh squeezed orange juice, and though this Simply Orange product does not taste quite as fresh as squeezed-minutes-ago fresh squeezed juice, it effectively captures most of the citrusy but sweet qualities of fresh squeezed orange juice. I’d rate this juice at 92 out of 100.
Where To Buy Simply Orange 100% Pure Squeezed Pulp Free Orange Juice
You can find this product in most any grocery or convenience store, big or small. Look for it in the clear plastic bottle with the green cap and green sticker seal across the top. If you don’t want to squeeze oranges yourself, and can’t get fresh squeezed orange juice from a nearby citrus grove, Simply Orange is an excellent substitute.
- Orange Juice on Wikipedia
- Simply Orange Juice Website
- Where To Buy Simply Orange 100% Pure Squeezed Pulp Free Orange Juice
- : Adjusted category and tag assignments, fixed typos, and added white space.
- 2012-07-10: Originally published.