I bought a box of the Pillsbury Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate Cake Mix recently, and actually baked this dark chocolate cake last night. I was quite pleased with the results. After the hour required for cooling, the cake was indeed dark brown in color, and quite moist; so moist in fact that it made a gentle sopping noise when gently squeezed, much as you’d hear when squeezing a wet sponge. And the taste: utterly chocolate, and utterly sweet yet without excessive sweetness. Pillsbury struck the right balance in this product between sugar and chocolate in an easy-to-prepare unit. Here are my detailed impressions of Pillsbury Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate Cake Mix,
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- This cake mix yields a very moist cake so long as you follow the concise instructions on the back of the box.
- To make this dark chocolate cake mix, all you need are common ingredients found in most every kitchen, including three eggs, one-third cup oil, and one and one-forth cups of water. Mix everything together in a large mixing bowl and bake at 350 degrees for 34 to 38 minutes for a 13 X 9 pan. I used this type of pan when I made my cake.
- The instructions give substitute ingredients (replacing the eggs with egg whites or egg substitutes. Nice.
- The box gives recipes for a couple different desserts you can make with this Pillsbury cake mix.
- Pillsbury cake products are available at most any big or small grocery store, and so are quite simple to find.
- The Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate Cake Mix from Pillsbury has a well-balanced chocolate flavor that’s not too heavy on the sugar.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- My usual complaint about dessert products like this chocolate cake mix is that they have too much sugar. In fact, sugar appears as the first ingredient on the label. Also, I wish they’d use whole-grain flours instead of the enriched, bleached milled grains.
- Each serving of this dark chocolate confection has 240 calories once baked. Yet I must eat several slices before feeling that my chocolate craving has been completely satisfied.
- Also, this product contains small amounts of partially hydrogenated soybean oil which may encourage circulatory problems. However, there’s not enough trans fats in this Pillsbury product to register under the trans fats category on the nutrition label. So the amount of trans fats in this product may not be terribly significant.
I’d indeed recommend purchasing this very moist dark chocolate cake product, particularly when you need a nice-tasting yet not-necessarily-healthy cake fast and thus, lack the time to make one from scratch. Pillsbury offers one sure-fire way in this product, to get a consistently pleasant taste sensation from a cake. It tastes so moist and chocolaty that you need no iceing to “spice it up” so to speak, as it tastes completely good already. But do not show up at your kid’s birthday party with an un-iced cake however. *smile* I’d rate this chocolate cake product at 92 out of 100.
Where To Buy Pillsbury Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
Look for Pillsbury Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate Cake Mix in the baking products section of your favorite large or small grocery store. It comes packaged in blue box with a picture of a fresh piece of chocolate cake on the front, with the ever-present Pillsbury Dough Boy beckoning you to have some.
- Cake on Wikipedia
- Chocolate on Wikipedia
- Pillsbury Website
- Where To Buy Pillsbury Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- : Added whitespace, adjusted ad placement, reworked category and tag assignments, and tweaked the content.
- 2012-03-28: Originally published.