Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise is quite the versatile condiment for sandwiches and salads. As such, mayonnaise is found in many staple recipes like tuna salad and vegetable dips. It’s even great on hamburgers and steak subs. I’ve used Hellmann’s since I was a little boy on Lebanon bologna sandwiches, and Mom makes a great chicken fruit salad in which she liberally scoops on the mayo. I heartily enjoy the uniquely-mayonnaise flavor of Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise. Here are my impressions of this food-complimenting mayonnaise that I sometimes create with, in my kitchen.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- Though the label indicates sugar in the ingredients list, there is very little sugar in Hellmann’s mayonnaise; not even enough to be listed on the nutrition label. Thus, it’s a great flavoring for diabetics to consider adding to some of their healthful dishes.
- The mild yet unmistakable flavor of this Hellmann’s mayonnaise is a thrill!
- Hellmann’s mayonnaise has a thick consistency. So it will cling well to anything you spread it on, and not run.
- While this mayonnaise is perishable once opened and must be refrigerated afterwards, it keeps well for close to a year and beyond if kept sealed in a cool dry place. I’ve never experienced spoilage with this product. Even once opened, and kept in the refrigerator, it remains good-tasting after several months.
- Hellmann’s includes those healthy omega-3 ALA fats, and is a good source of them in fact, according to the label.
- Just about any mainstream grocery store I’ve ever shopped in carries Hellmann’s mayonnaise. So it’s quite easy to find, in stores both big and small, and is thus, typically priced cheaply.
- This product in my view, sets the flavor standard for mayonnaise. I’ve tasted numerous other similar products. But none of those I like as much as the mayonnaise from Hellmann. Party guests know well the Hellmann’s mayonnaise flavor also, as like me, they grew up with it at their lunch and supper tables. This makes it appreciated by most guests at the buffet, at your parties.
- This mayonnaise contains reasonable amounts of sodium, at 90 MG per tablespoon serving. This means that us folks over the age of 51 can rest easy about enjoying a few tablespoons of this condiment once in a while. I suspect that Hellmann makes a low-sodium version of this same product. I’ll look for one and report on it should I find it.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- They provide plastic-jar packaging for this product. I indeed miss yesteryear’s glass jars. However, the plastic container is still clear; making it simple to see the product inside.
- Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise contains no fiber or carbs of any kind in fact. So when your meal has lots of mayonnaise, I’d recommend that you balance it out with a good source of fiber like the healthier breads, vegetables, and fruits.
- This product is fatty in my view; deriving ALL of its calories from fat. So, moderation is highly called for. However, it’s quite low in cholesterol, at only 5 MG per serving, and all but 1.5 grams of the 10 grams of fat per serving, is saturated. So this mayonnaise has lots of the less saturated, “good” fats, and those omega-3s fall into this category of good fats.
- Though Hellmann’s mayonnaise has a mild flavor that requires lots of it to get that unique mayonnaise taste, I’d also consider it a high-calorie source. Keep in mind though that 3 tablespoons of this product has 270 calories. So don’t succumb to the temptation of over-indulging that the great flavor of this product can create. Eat it in small amounts.
- Hellmann’s mayonnaise must be refrigerated after opening; which can tax my limited refrigerator space. But I don’t really mind that so much. I typically buy only one small-medium (15.5 ounce) jar at a time. And that’s easy to find space for in the ice box.
In conclusion: Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise is a chef’s dream for adding the taste and texture from an expert hand to your foods, that people will generally recognize and love. Hellmann’s unique blend of eggs, soybean oil, and natural flavors has survived the ages and pleased a few generations. I love this mayonnaise, and would thus, highly recommend it be part of any active cook’s kitchen. I’d rate this product at 85 out of 100, as it contains a high amount of fat. But its flavor is superb.
Where To Buy Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
Look for Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise in the clear plastic jar (that displays the cream-white mayonnaise inside, with the yellow label, along with the dark blue lid. Enjoy!
- 2015-01-25: Added whitespace, adjusted ad placement, reworked category and tag assignments, and tweaked the content.
- 2012-03-21: Originally published.