I’ve sampled and frequently over-eaten numerous versions of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and this Haagen-Dazs Mint Chip All Natural Ice Cream makes it easy to continue that bad dietary behavior. It ranks among the best in terms of texture, flavor, and reasonable cost. It could easily become a main course if one is too seduced by its sweet minty and chocolaty flavor.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- This mint chocolate chip ice cream smells just as it tastes; minty, chocolaty, and sweet. Like the flavor, the aroma does not overly dominate. The smell is rather subtle and truthful about the taste sensations to come.
- The red, brown, green and white colors on the package do not mislead about how delightfully minty and chocolaty this treat will be.
- They hit a pleasant balance between the mint, sugar, and chocolate in this mint chocolate chip ice cream from Haagen-Dazs. It’s definitely not excessively sugary, but still sweet enough to have kept me going back for more, at least, until I’d polished off the entire fourteen ounce container.
- This Haagen-Dazs all natural ice cream comes with numerous and small yet curiously crunchy chunks of dark chocolate flavored bits. They tasted a bit loaded. But strength of the chocolate was definitely not overdone, and thus, this flavor complimented the mint, just as a bass man compliments the sopranos in a choir. Any craving for chocolate would not remain after consuming this yummy ice cream.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- I paid roughly $5 for a fourteen ounce container (not quite a pint). That’s very pricy and probably not the cheapest available. But it was convenient, as I purchased this at a CVS pharmacy near to my current location. Besides, I’d avoid buying more than a pint at a stretch anyway, because I’d be too tempted to eat it all. I’m already bad enough for eating a whole pint in a single sitting. I would have preferred paying $3 instead of $5.
- This ice cream looks virtually like vanilla (cream white in color) because they did not color it minty green. I however, like the green food coloring. But I understand that Haagen-Dazs likely omitted the green in order to keep this product as all-natural as possible.
- At 12 grams of saturated fat per serving (and there are three and a half servings in the fourteen ounce container), I get more than my entire day’s allotment of this fat in just this container of Haagen-Dazs mint chip ice cream. It’d be great if they’d fashion this to taste as good as it does, but without so much saturated fat. However, to be fair to Haagen-Dazs , saturated fat and great-tasting ice cream always seem to go together. Thus it’d be quite difficult to manufacture a good-tasting ice cream without that all natural saturated fat.
- They also use corn syrup. I’d hope that future revisions to this product switch to less processed sweeteners like raw sugar, honey, or agave nectar.
- Each serving has 23 grams of sugar, and roughly 81 grams for the whole container of 3.5 servings. It could definitely be lower. But this amount of sugar is not terribly excessive; especially if you take an hour-long walk after eating this.
Though a bit fatty, I found this mint chip all natural ice cream from Haagen-Dazs to be exceptional, and would therefore highly suggest it to anyone seeking a rich, full-bodied consistency in their desserts. It satisfies with just about the right amount of everything (except for perhaps the saturated fat content), without going overboard on much. So check it out the next time you get a hankering for some all-natural ice cream, and I think you’ll probably enjoy this Haagen-Dazs Mint Chip just as did I. I’d rate this ice cream at 91 out of 100.
Where to Buy Haagen-Dazs Mint Chip All Natural Ice Cream
I’ve bought it at local convenience stores and have seen it at some of the larger grocery outlets and ice cream shops.
- : Moved this post to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, adjusted ad placement, and extended content.
- 2011-06-16: Originally published.