One of my favorite and most useful kitchen appliances is my Presto non-stick griddle. I bought this a couple of years back for roughly $40. So far, I’ve just made pancakes and hundreds of this griddle grilled cheese sandwich on it. Yet if those two dishes are all I ever cook on my Presto, it’s still well worth the investment.
Griddle Grilled Cheese Sandwich Cooking Directions
My recipe for the best-tasting grilled cheese sandwiches (at least that I’ve ever tasted) follows. This recipe makes two sandwiches.
- Preheat the griddle to 400 degrees.
- While its heating up, get out four slices of your favorite bread. I use Pepperidge Farms pumpernickel or rye bread, depending on which one I find at the store.
- Spread your favorite margarine on one side of each of these four slices. I use either Shedd’s Spread or I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, and put a tablespoon of it on each side of the bread.
- Then, obtain four slices of your favorite American or cheddar cheese. I use the Kraft Velveeta individually wrapped slices here.
- With the margarine side of the slices facing outward, put two slices of the cheese inside each sandwich.
- Once the griddle reaches 400 degrees, put both sandwiches on it.
- Grill for four minutes, then flip each sandwich over.
- Grill the other sides for four minutes. This amount of time yields a medium or golden brown, toasty texture on the bread and fully melted, piping hot cheese inside.
- Remove the sandwiches from the griddle to a plate.
- Allow two minutes to cool a bit.
- Serve these griddle grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup for a delicious and filling meal.
- Clean up the griddle while it’s still hot for easiest removal of the margarine.
This recipe yields delicious toasted cheese sandwiches. You might also try adding slices of ham on top of the cheese for an even more satisfying dinner or lunch. I prefer just the cheese inside however. For a more cheesy dish, add a third slice of cheese to each sandwich. However, the cheese often spills out onto the griddle when this much is used.
Griddle Grilled Cheese Sandwich Nutrition Information
Values for a sandwich prepared with Shedd’s Spread margarine, Kraft Velveeta Slices cheese, and Pepperidge Farms Jewish Rye Seeded Bread.
- Serving size: 1 griddle grilled cheese sandwich.
- Calories: 380.
- Calories from fat: 200.
- Total fat: 20 grams.
- Saturated fat: 8 grams.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: 30 milligrams.
- Sodium: 960 milligrams.
- Total carb: 19 grams.
- Dietary fiber: 4 grams.
- Sugar: 6 grams.
- Protein: 14 grams.
Just one of the many items you can cook on your griddle. But if you do not have a griddle, you can use a non-stick skillet, heated to medium on a gas or electric stove.
- : Adjusted category and tag assignments, fixed typos, and added white space.
- 2012-07-03: Originally published.