Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi Cola has been on the market since the early 1980s, and my family and I have consumed lots of it since then, as I watch my caffeine intake. While this product’s flavor indeed resembles the original Pepsi, it is nonetheless, easily recognized as different; though not so easily since the advent of NutraSweet zero calorie sweetener. As happens with just about any NutraSweet-sweetened beverage, as I drink through a can, it’s sweetness gradually fades as my tongue grows accustomed to the NutraSweet. Also, drinks with aspartame lose their sweet taste over time when stored, so that if you allow this product to age for too long past the best-if-used-by-date, you’ll likely find much of the sweet flavor absent. Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi is my favorite diet cola drink, sweetness fatigue notwithstanding.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- This product has no caffeine, and so is great for those suffering from hypertension, heart palpitations, and other ailments that affect heart beat rhythm.
- Nor does this soft drink have any significant calories; in fact, no carbohydrates whatsoever. So you will neither get fat nor racey drinking this diet soda without caffeine.
- It’s sugar-free and very low sodium, at just 25 milligrams per 12-ounce serving. You will not get cavities or gain weight just by consuming this diet drink.
- Without caffeine, there’s never a fear of getting the jitters or racing heart in me. However, this beverage does little to wake me up, except stimulate my mouth with its sweet cola flavor and zippy carbonation.
- I experience no sour aftertaste with this no-caffeine diet cola.
- Once opened, this cola drink keeps fizzing for twenty to thirty minutes; long enough to finish a can before flatness sets in.
- Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi has been shown to be an effective competitor to Diet Coke, a relative newcomer to the diet cola industry (early 1980s). I prefer Diet Pepsi however.
- The best-if-used-by date on the bottom of the can is six months out. So you can store this pop for a little while without any loss of sweetness.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- Many products that get their sweetness from aspartame like this one, can begin losing that sweetness if left in the wine cellar too long past this date. I’ve indeed experienced this with this diet soda. So while I often keep beverages way past this, I will not do that with any NutraSweet-based product.
- Sweetness fatigue sets in after just several consecutive sips of this caffeine free product, though I’ve never observed much aftertaste.
My taste buds adore this zero calorie Pepsi product, and the absence of caffeine is worth at least several points in the positive column. I’d therefore rate this product at 94 of 100.
Where To Buy Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi Cola
Look for the white cans, plastic bottles, and cartons of Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi at your favorite grocery stores big or tiny such as Weis, Hometown Market, Giant Eagle, and IGA. I bought mine at Walmart. Since this product has been manufactured for a few decades, it’s also available at most any small grocery store and some gas stations and convenience stores too.
- : Moved this post to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, adjusted ad placement, revised content, and rearranged category and tag assignments.
- 2012-04-22: Originally published.