You’re getting jipped if you buy a pancake mix today and it does not have at least a couple of whole grains in it. But do not be concerned about that if you buy Bobs Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake and Waffle Whole Grain Mix. There’s not just one whole grain, not just two, or not even three; but ten different grains in this heart-healthy breakfast staple. We made an entire 26-ounce bag of this mix today for breakfast and leftovers, and the pancakes turned out to be quite filling and very enjoyable to eat. All those different mild flavors together made for a unique, complex flavor which pure maple syrup and margarine augmented quite nicely. A tasty yet healthy breakfast indeed.
Benefits And Features
- You get a very dense and heavy pancake from this mix that’s reminiscent of heavy biscuits.
- Stone ground flour that is not bleached. Yet the mix looks white, as though it had been bleached. That’s probably the buttermilk powder that’s also present here.
- While not organic, nothing tasted artificial or exaggerated about this product. All natural.
- Features aluminum-free leavening, and sea salt.
- Filled me up after just three quarter-cup pancakes, as other whole grain brands have. And, I remained full for a few hours after breakfast. So I’m convinced that the advertised whole grain goodness of this waffle and pancake mix is exaggerated not in the least.
- You can freeze this product for years, and you’ll still experience fresh-tasting cakes from it.
- It tasted great, though I admit that I forgot to add the oil that the included pancake recipe calls for.
- Not too absorbent of syrup, which I consider an advantage.
- Easy to cook and clean up.
- A strong bag package is included, that kept the mix fresh until I received it.
- The bag is air tight and transparent and shows off an off-white powdery texture of the numerous grain flours inside.
- While the bag does not protect the mix from light, it is nice to see the mix through it, although instead of having most of the bag be see-through, they might have made all of it opaque except a view port on the front. That way, more of the grain would be protected from the nutrition neutralizing effects that light can have on foods.
- Nor does the bag include a zipper style or adhesive closing mechanism. So you cannot re seal the bag, once opened, without a bag clip or some other clamping device or bag tie.
- Higher-than-typical sodium levels here, at 660 milligrams as prepared.
- Hard to find. I had to shop at a health food store to find it.
- Take 1 cup of this pancake mix, 1 beaten egg or egg substitute, 1 tablespoon of oil. Add approximately 1 cup of milk,soymilk, rice milk, or water, until you hit your desired batter thickness.
- Lightly oil your non stick griddle or skillet.
- Pre heat griddle to 400 degrees, or pre heat a skillet on the stove to a medium high heat.
- While your cookware is heating, stir together all ingredients, but stop just before lumps disappear.
- For thinner cakes, add a bit more liquid. For thicker cakes, add a bit more mix.
- For more flavorful multigrain pancakes, stir in a quarter cup of berries, or 1 teaspoon of vanilla, or 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, or 1/4 cup of chopped nuts. I put some honey in mine, to get a slightly sweeter taste.
- Then, once your chosen cooking device reaches the desired temperature, Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup sized amounts onto the cooking surface. I find 1/4 cup amounts for each pancake easier to flip over than any bigger sizes.
- Flip the pancakes over when bubbles appear on top surface, and the edges begin to dry and look dull (less wet and shiny). I cook the cakes two to three minutes per side.
- Remove them from cooking surface to a large plate, divvy them out, slice them up, add your favorite syrup or jam, and then dig in.
- Get together 1 cup of this pancake / waffle mix, 2 beaten eggs or egg substitute, 2 tablespoons of oil, roughly 1 cup of milk, soymilk, rice milk, or water.
- Lightly oil your non stick waffle maker.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- While iron is heating, stir together all ingredients, stopping just before lumps disappear.
- Then, pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup sized amounts onto the cooking surface, as specified in your waffle maker’s instructions manual.
- Close the iron and allow product to cook until you smell done waffles. Check done ness every minute or so. Once they get to cooking, they cook quickly.
- Once fully cooked and golden brown, remove waffles from iron to a large plate, divvy them out to your guests and yourself, add your favorite syrup or jam, slice them up, and again, enjoy.
Try adding applesauce, cheese, chocolate, nuts, ham, or fruits to your liking. For more fiber, add 1/4 cup of oat bran to the batter, prior to cooking.
Whole wheat flour, buttermilk powder (milk), baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, and monocalcium phosphate), corn flour, rye flour, triticale flour, oat flour, rolled oats, soy flour, millet flour, barley flour, brown rice flour, sea salt (magnesium carbonate), flaxseed meal, and baking soda.
- Serving size: 1/2 cup (50 grams of dry mix).
- Servings per 26-ounce container: about 12.
- Calories of just the mix: 180. Calories prepared, 3 four-inch pancakes: 330.
- Calories from fat in just the mix: 10. Calories from fat prepared: 120.
- Total fat in the mix: 1 gram, 2% DV. Total fat as prepared: 10 grams, 20% DV.
- Saturated fat in the mix: 0.5 grams, 2% DV. Saturated fat as prepared: 2 grams, 13% DV.
- Trans fat in mix: 0 grams. Trans fat as prepared: 0 grams.
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0 grams. Polyunsaturated fat as prepared: 3 grams.
- Monounsaturated fat: 0 grams. Monounsaturated fat as prepared: 6 grams.
- Cholesterol in the mix: 5 milligrams, 2% DV. Cholesterol as prepared: 100 milligrams, 38% DV.
- Sodium in the mix: 630 milligrams, 26% DV. Sodium as prepared: 360 milligrams, 15% DV.
- Total carbohydrate in the mix: 35 grams, 12% DV. Total carbohydrate as prepared: 35 grams, 12% DV.
- Dietary Fiber in the mix: 4 grams, 16% DV. Dietary fiber as prepared: 4 grams, 16% DV.
- Sugars in the mix: 3 grams. Sugars as prepared: 3 grams.
- Protein in the mix: 8 grams. Protein as prepared: 11 grams.
- Vitamin A in the mix: 0% DV. Vitamin A as prepared: 6% DV.
- Vitamin C in the mix: 0% DV. Vitamin C as prepared: 0% DV.
- Calcium in the mix: 15% DV. Calcium as prepared: 40% DV.
- Iron in the mix: 8% DV. Iron as prepared: 15% DV.
I find the pancakes and waffles made with this product quite hearty, dense, not airy, and satisfying. Given all the different grains herein, it’s easy to incorporate a wide variety of such in the diet by regularly eating these pancakes. So, I’d rate it at 94 out of 100.
Where To Buy Bobs Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake and Waffle Whole Grain Mix
Carried in many health food stores throughout the United States.
Look for this product in the transparent plastic bag with a yellow, red, white, and brown label on the front, in the 26 or 52 ounce bags..