Seeking more of the good fats avoiding more of the bad fats not to mention the lower salt content, I’ve snacked on these Blue Diamond Lightly Salted Almonds occasionally over the past couple years. They have 50% less added sodium than Blue Diamond’s original roasted and salted almonds. They’s simply whole and natural almonds that taste quite good. Just a little salt goes a long way toward creating a better tasting almond. These roasted, low-salt almonds are crispy, snappy, crunchy, chewy, and naturally flavorful.
You cannot swallow them without first chewing them well and experiencing that crunch that results from roasting, and this makes them more satisfying to me. By no means are these natural nuts soggy or bland. Indeed, they’re definitely a healthier, more natural snack than, say, corn curls or potato chips. Almonds in fact, are a whole food, and thus, more naturally nutritious than more processed snacks. And these are even better than your typical canned almond, since they have no added artificial ingredients or sugar. Blue Diamond has, with this product, canned simply the naturally wholesome, mild flavor of farm-grown almonds with just a small touch of salt. Very delicious.
Benefits, Advantages, Pros, And Features
- You need no can opener to gain access this can, as it comes with a ring and pull-top lid. So you can dig in as soon as you leave the store with these nuts.
- While the flavor in these almonds is less “loud,” it’s nonetheless delightful. Nothing overdone about these fresh, roasted nuts.
- While these almonds have 16 grams of fat and 170 calories per serving, you’ll find no traces of trans fats (hydrogenated oils). Indeed, any fat in this product occurs exclusively in the natural realms in these nuts, which makes it less harmful to the human body.
- This product comes from California, which makes it a home-grown, American-packaged, all-natural snack food.
- Designated as a heart healthy food, this party treat contains only 5 grams of net carbs per serving.
- Eating this snack in moderation (1.5 ounces per day according to the can), science suggests, may reduce risks of developing heart and other cardiovascular illnesses. Nuts that are left pretty much in their natural states. seem quite good for us humans.
- I’ve found the almonds to be quite uniform in flavor, color, size, and texture.
- Blue Diamond has indeed refined the art of consistently good-tasting almond selection into a science. From them, you get medium-sized, chocolate-brown roasted almonds every snack time that sport but a small number of the white spots that frequently appear on almonds during packaging and shipping, where bits of the skins have peeled away.
- This product keeps for years on the shelf; for years after the best-if-used-by date has expired. So if you’re building a food storehouse, be sure to stock it with Blue Diamond Lightly Salted Almonds.
- Blue Diamond chose the right amount of salt to overcome the somewhat bland taste of totally unseasoned almonds,, but not so much as to raise serious concerns in folks suffering from elevated blood pressure.
- Unlike the regular-salt almonds, you don’t see any salt granules on the nuts or collecting at the bottom of the can. So you need not worry about this powder getting on your work clothes or fingers while munching on this product.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- What the Blue Diamond Almond People call a serving of these nuts seems rather small (one ounce). There are six servings per can. But I must eat a third to a half of a can to be satisfied.
- So it’s best not to snack on this food exclusively in a sitting even though it’s all-natural. But with that said, I need far less almonds to become filled up (in terms of weight) than I would potato chips, bagged popcorn, and so on.
- They add some vegetable oil (added fat), that I’d prefer that they did not.
Almonds, vegetable oil (canola, safflower, and / or sunflower oils), and salt.
- Serving size: 1 Oz. (28 grams, about 28 nuts). Servings per can: 6.
- Calories: 170. Fat calories: 140.
- Total fat: 16 grams, 24% DV.
- Saturated fat: 1 gram, 6% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 40 milligrams, 2% DV.
- Potassium: 190 milligrams, 6% DV.
- Total carb: 5 grams, 2% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 3 grams, 12% DV.
- Sugars: 1 gram.
- Protein: 6 grams.
- Vitamin A: 0% DV.
- Vitamin C: 0% DV.
- Calcium: 8% DV.
- Vitamin E: 35% DV.
- Iron: 6% DV.
- Magnesium: 20% DV.
I’d recommend Blue Diamond Lightly Salted Almonds as a mid-afternoon break snack, as they have very few carbs and modest amounts of salt. So they’ll likely minimize the effects of those pesky three o’clock PM blues far more than candy bars, peanut butter cups, or potato chips. I’d rate this snack food at 95 out of 100.
Where To Buy Blue Diamond Lightly Salted Almonds
Look for this flavor of almond in the light yellow can with the bright teal-blue snap-off lid at your favorite bigger grocery stores. They’re also widely available on the Internet. I do not typically find these at smaller, locally based stores. But keep looking until you find them, because these almonds make for a good-tasting healthy “fast” food.
- : Moved this post to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, adjusted ad placement, and tweaked the content.
- 2012-06-23: Originally published.