I’ve brought home this Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Chocolate Almond Milk to replace dairy-based chocolate milk products with. The carton says that this product contains only 120 calories per 8-ounce serving, and has 50% more calcium than dairy milk. However, I’d tend to avoid this product while dieting, as the added sugar (though it is evaporated cane juice) makes this chocolate almond drink quite addictive to me.
I find this chocolate almondmilk roughly the same as dairy low-fat chocolate milk in texture, opacity, and color, though it does have a lighter consistency about the flavor. The chocolate flavor is virtually identical to chocolate flavored cow’s milk, but does not overwhelm you. It’s gentle.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- This is a completely non dairy product that is also soy free according to the label. It has lots of the vitamin E antioxidant, but no saturated fat or cholesterol.
- At roughly $2.00 per one-quart carton, Blue Diamond brand chocolate almond drink is priced on par with other similar drinks I’ve tested.
- It requires no refrigeration until after opening, and the date stamped on the top of the carton is nearly a year out from the date I bought my carton. So this beverage will keep for well over a year in the food cellar.
- This chocolate milk alternative has some additives; including calcium carbonate, sea salt, chocolate flavors, and several vitamin compounds.
- The packaging protects the almond drink from excessive light exposure, which can also affect its flavor as well as sap some of the nutrition.
- It’s available at health food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart and Giant Eagle here in PA.
- This sweetened chocolate almond drink keeps for nearly two months in the refrigerator once opened, so long as you keep it cold.
- I like the color and consistency of this chocolate milk replacement product. It closely resembles traditional dairy-based chocolate milk in terms of its opacity. The color is medium-to-dark brown, which disguises the almond content effectively.
- Made with real almonds, is vegan-appropriate.
- No bland taste from this almond drink product. The added chocolate, and sugar take care of that problem, and they do it deliciously.
- The one-quart version of this product is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and I believe that its taste therefore, suffers far less from the leeching plastic compounds from plastic bottles that transfer to the chocolate drink inside, that can destroy its chocolaty almond flavor.
- This is an excellent alternative for lactose-intolerant folks or those allergic to cow’s milk products.
- It’s also a good soy beverage alternative, as almonds typically have a less obtrusive flavor than soybeans.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- Virtually all of the 22 grams sugar this product contains per serving, is added sugar and refined sugar. It’s highly addictive in my view.
- Diabetics should thus, monitor their blood sugar readings when consuming this product, as it contains significant amounts of this added sugar. To get a lower glycemic index and make this product more suitable for diabetics, they might use sucralose or stevia to sweeten this chocolate almond drink rather than the cane juice.
- Due to the sugar (I think), it’s easy to consume too many calories via this product. Indeed, this product tests one’s resolve to consume in moderation thus. It’s got a delicious chocolate flavor that simply tastes too good.
- This product has more fat than skim milk. However, all of that fat is non saturated. So it’s a good fat. It’s almond fat.
Almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), evaporated cane juice, cocoa (Dutch process), calcium carbonate, sea salt, potassium citrate, carrageenan, natural flavors, sunflower lecithin, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2 and d-alpha-tocopherol (natural vitamin E).
WARNING: Not intended as infant formula.
- Serving size: 1 cup, or 240 milliliters.
- Servings per container: 4.
- Calories: 120.
- Calories from fat: 25.
- Total fat: 3 grams, 0% DV.
- Saturated fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 150 milligrams, 6% DV.
- Potassium: 240 milligrams, 7% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 22 grams, 7% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 1 gram, 4% DV.
- Sugars: 20 grams.
- Protein: 1 gram.
- Vitamin A: 10% DV.
- Calcium: 45% DV.
- Vitamin C: 0% DV.
- Vitamin D: 25% DV.
- Phosphorous: 4% DV.
- Iron: 6% DV.
- Vitamin E: 50% DV.
- Magnesium: 6% DV.
In the main, I think that this chocolate flavored almondmilk is a delicious, high value. I really enjoy it, and would rate this almond beverage at 92 out of 100. They’d get even higher marks from me if they’d replace the added sugar with some zero-calorie, preferred natural sweetener.
Where To Buy Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Chocolate Almond Milk
Buy a quart carton at your favorite larger local grocer once in a while. Look for it in the bright blue, brown, and white carton with a picture of a glass of this product on the front, with the white cap atop, in the refrigerated dairy section. If you like soy chocolate drinks, you’ll also enjoy this almond-based one.
- Almond Breeze Products Website
- Almond Milk on Wikipedia
- Blue Diamond Website
- Where To Buy Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Chocolate Almond Milk
- : Adjusted category and tag assignments, fixed typos, and added whitespace.
- 2012-06-16: Originally published.