I like this Almond Dream Original Enriched Almond Drink for use as an alternative to dairy milk products. I’ve made pancakes with it, added it to soups, and used it in baked goods with success. Generally, this product can be applied anywhere you’d use regular milk. It’s thickness resembles 2% dairy milk, and since it is lightly sweetened with cane syrup, you need not add more sugar when you use this drink on cereals that you like to put sugar on.
Texture-wise, this almond milk is virtually the same as cow’s milk. But its taste differs much, and unlike cow’s milk, the color of this beverage is not a pure white; it’s a light yellow or brown instead, reflecting natural almond colors. Although it has a noticeably different flavor (almond as opposed to dairy milk), it’s mild yet satisfying taste, though not like milk, serves as a reasonable economical substitute for milk. Just don’t use it in coffee or tea however, if you like the creamy taste of dairy in these drinks, as almond milk does not taste creamy.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- The one-half gallon version of this product is packaged in an opaque carton; not a plastic bottle. Its taste therefore, is far less impacted by the plastic compounds from the bottle that can leach into the drink inside. This can destroy the drink’s gently sweet yet mild almond flavor.
- At roughly $3.30 per half-gallon carton, Almond Dream brand almond drink is priced on par with other similar products I’ve sampled.
- This product contains relatively few additives, although since it is an enriched product, you’ll find some added vitamins herein.
- This almond beverage has no saturated fat, cholesterol, gluten, lactose, or any dairy product.
- It contains many antioxidants and a bit of “good” fat. It’s vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and calcium enriched.
- It’s low in fat and sodium, and is 100% compatible with vegetarian diets.
- Good source of fiber, at 5 grams per serving.
- The opaque packaging protects the almond drink from excessive light exposure, which can negatively impact its flavor as well as sap some of the nutritional values.
- It keeps for two months in the refrigerator so long as it’s kept cold and has not been opened. So if you have the room in your ice box, stock up on a few half-gallons. Once opened, it retains all its flavor for a week or two.
- I like the color and consistency of this product. It closely resembles milk in terms of its opacity; though the color is a bit off-white, attesting to the almonds inside.
- Almond Dream products are available at health food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart and Giant Eagle here in PA.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- As this drink has added sugar, diabetics should carefully monitor their blood sugar values when consuming this drink.
- With so few flavor additives, almond drink in general can taste a bit bland; even with a bit of added sweetener such as found here. But I’m glad such products are available, since I get tired of searching so much for drink products with low amounts of added sugar. Thus, I can tolerate the blandness. I have, after a fashion, gotten used to it.
Almond base (filtered water, almonds), evaporated cane syrup, inulin, tricalcium phosphate, soy lecithin, sea salt, natural flavors, gellan gum, carrageenan, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), vitamin D2, vitamin B12.
Contains: almond, soy.
- Serving size: 1 cup, or 240 millilitres. Servings per container: 8.
- Calories: 70. Calories from fat: 25.
- Total fat: 3 grams, 5% DV.
- Saturated fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1 gram.
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5 grams.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 135 milligrams, 6% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 12 grams, 4% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 5 grams, 20% DV.
- Sugars: 7 grams.
- Protein: 1 gram.
- Vitamin A: 30% DV.
- Calcium: 30% DV.
- Vitamin C: 0% DV.
- Vitamin D: 25% DV.
- Phosphorous: 15% DV.
- Iron: 4% DV.
- Vitamin E: 30% DV.
- Vitamin B12: 50% DV.
I find this almond drink a decent value. It contains no artificial flavors or colors, relatively low sugar, little salt, and it has a mild yet fulfilling flavor. I love it. and would rate it thus, at 97 out of 100.
Where To Buy Almond Dream Original Enriched Almond Drink
So pick up a box from your favorite larger local grocer.
Look for it in the sky blue and white carton that has a picture of a swirling whirlpool of this beverage on the front and almonds being dropped into the center of i. The carton has a white cap on top and is usually kept in the non refrigerated beverages sections. Some stores however, may refrigerate it. Check both places.
- Almond Milk on Wikipedia
- Dream Products Website
- Where To Buy Almond Dream Original Enriched Almond Drink
- : Adjusted category and tag assignments, fixed typos, and added white space.
- 2012-07-11: Originally published.