I brought home the Great Value Chocolate Organic Soymilk for review recently, to use as a low-fat substitute for cow’s milk-based chocolate milk products. The carton says that this product contains just 130 calories per 1-cup serving. Vitamins A, B2, B12, D, as well as calcium have been added. But I’d avoid Great Value organic chocolate soymilk while dieting, as the included sugar (though it is organic cane sugar) makes this chocolate soy drink rather addictive in my view.
I find this chocolate soy “milk” roughly the same as dairy low-fat chocolate milk in texture. The chocolate flavor closely resembles chocolate flavored cow’s milk; though perhaps a bit weak for my taste buds. While I enjoy the Great Value brand soy drink chocolate flavor, I wish there was more of it (stronger chocolate). Great Value organic chocolate soy drink is an okay-tasting, thirst-quenching treat right from a glass, or sometimes, when I’m really thirsty, I skip the cup and drink right from the carton, but only when I’m alone. I promise.
Benefits, Pros,, Features, and Advantages
- While this brand does not have added DHA omega-3 fatty acids, the label indicates that it comes bundled with extra added vitamins.
- Plus, Great Value chocolate soy drink is soy-based, and certified by the USDA to be organic.
- Great Value chocolate flavored organic soy drink is made with only whole soybeans (not extracted soy proteins).
- At roughly $2.50 per half-gallon carton, Great Value brand chocolate soy drink is priced over fifty cents less than other similar products I’ve tested.
- This Great Value Soymilk alternative to dairy-based chocolate milk has some additives; including calcium carbonate, sea salt, carrageenan, and several vitamin ingredients.
- Great Value chocolate flavored soy drink has only 0.5 grams of saturated fat, no cholesterol, contains some “good” fat, and 2 grams of fiber per serving. But it does contain 20 grams of sugar per serving. So be careful not to enjoy too much at one sitting. These great numbers suggest that this chocolate drink is indeed a heart-healthy soy product.
- The packaging protects the chocolate soy drink from light, which can affect its flavor as well as sap some nutrition. Its medium-dark brown color resembles that of chocolate cow’s milk. You’d never know by examining this beverage that it’s actually soy drink.
- No bland taste in this soy drink product from Great Value. The added chocolate and sugar solve that problem nicely.
- The one-half gallon version of this Great Value product is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and I believe that its taste therefore, is less impaired by the leeching plastic compounds from plastic bottles that can transfer to the chocolate drink inside, that can destroy its chocolaty flavor.
- This Great Value chocolate-flavored soymilk product is available at Walmart.
- Great Value sweetened chocolate soy drink keeps for over a month in the refrigerator. So this product is excellent for stock piling if you’ve got extra room in your refrigerator. After opening, it keeps seven to ten days.
- I like the color and consistency of this chocolate milk replacement product. It closely resembles traditional dairy-based chocolate milk in terms of its opacity. The color is a medium, milk-chocolate-brown, and disguises the soy content well.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- I found the chocolate flavor rather weak in this product. In fact, this chocolate organic soymilk is more sweet than chocolaty.
- This product is available only at Walmart stores. However, its lower price may make the trip to Walmart worth your while.
- Due to the sugar content, in my opinion, it’s easy to consume excess calories via this product. This product’s sweet chocolaty flavor tests one’s resolve to consume in moderation thus. It’s got a delicious and addictive chocolate flavor.
- Diabetics should therefore, watch their blood sugar readings extra closely when consuming Great Value Chocolate Organic Soy Milk, as it contains significant amounts of sugar.
- To produce a lower glycemic index product, thereby making this product more suitable for diabetics, Great Value might use pure agave nectar instead of the organic cane sugar to sweeten this chocolate soy drink rather than the evaporated cane juice.
Rating for Great Value Chocolate Organic Soymilk
On the whole, I believe that Great Value Chocolate Organic Soymilk is a good value. I enjoy it! So I’d rate this soy product at 91 out of 100.
Where To Buy Great Value Chocolate Organic Soymilk
Look for this chocolate soymilk in the blue and white carton with the blue letters near the top, with the blue Great Value logo on the front, and with the white cap, in the refrigerated dairy section exclusively at Walmart. Do your health some good and check out this low-saturated-fat alternative to chocolate flavored dairy milk.
- : Moved this post to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, revised tag and category assignments, fixed typos, and adjusted ad placements.
- 2012-03-31: Originally published.