I’ve brought home the Silk Chocolate All Natural Soymilk for review, to use as a low-fat substitute for dairy-based chocolate milk products. The carton says that this product contains just 140 calories per 8-ounce serving, and has fifty percent more calcium than dairy milk. But I’d avoid Silk Chocolate Soymilk if I was on a diet, as the added sugar (though it is evaporated cane juice) makes this chocolate soy drink quite addictive to me.
I find this chocolate soy “milk” roughly the same as dairy low-fat chocolate milk in texture. The chocolate flavor closely resembles chocolate flavored cow’s milk. I very much enjoy the Silk brand soy drink chocolate flavor. This product is among my favorites of all the brands I’ve tried. Silk chocolate soy drink is great-tasting, thirst-quenching treat right from a glass, or sometimes, when I’m really thirsty, right from the carton.
Benefits, Features, Pros, and Advantages
- While this brand does not have added DHA omega-3 fatty acids, the label indicates that it comes bundled with extra added vitamins. Plus, it is soy-based.
- Silk chocolate soy drink is made with only whole soybeans (not extracted soy proteins), and contains no genetically modified ingredients (GMOs). WhiteWave Foods, the makers of this product, say that it has been verified by the Non-GMO project.
- At roughly $3.18 per half-gallon carton, Silk brand chocolate soy drink is priced on par with other similar products I’ve tested.
- This Silk Soymilk alternative has some additives; including calcium carbonate, sea salt, carrageenan, natural flavors, and several vitamin additive.
- Silk chocolate flavored soy drink has only 0.5 grams of saturated fat, no cholesterol, and contains a bit of “good” fat, and 2 grams of fiber per serving. But it does contain 19 grams of sugar per serving. So be careful not to enjoy too much at one sitting. These great numbers suggest that this product is indeed a heart-healthy soy product.
- The packaging protects the chocolate soy drink from excessive light exposure, which can also affect its flavor as well as sap some of the nutrition. Its medium-dark brown color resembles that of chocolate cow’s milk.
- No bland taste from this soy drink product from Silk. The added chocolate and sugar solve that problem quite deliciously.
- The one-half gallon version of this Silk product is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and I believe that its taste therefore, is far less degraded by the leeching plastic compounds from plastic bottles that transfer to the chocolate drink inside, that can destroy its chocolaty almond flavor.
- This Silk chocolate-flavored soymilk product is available at health food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart and Giant Eagle here in PA.
- Silk sweetened chocolate soy drink keeps for over a month in the refrigerator. So this Silk product is wonderful stock pile. After opening, it keeps seven to ten days.
- I like the color and consistency of this chocolate milk replacement product. It closely resembles traditional dairy-based chocolate milk in terms of its opacity. The color is a medium, milk-chocolate-brown, and disguises the soy content quite well.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- Due to the sugar content, in my opinion, it’s easy to consume excess calories via this product. This product’s sweet chocolaty flavor tests one’s resolve to consume in moderation thus. It’s got a delicious and addictive chocolate flavor.
- Diabetics should therefore, watch their blood sugar readings extra closely when consuming Silk Chocolate All Natural Soy Milk, as it contains significant amounts of sugar.
- To produce a lower glycemic index product, thereby making this product more suitable for diabetics, Silk might use pure agave nectar to sweeten this chocolate soy drink rather than the evaporated cane juice.
On the whole, I believe that Silk Chocolate All Natural Soymilk is a delicious, excellent value. I really enjoy it! The amount of added sugar is the only thing that tempers my rating of this product. Still however, I’d rate this all-natural chocolate drink at 87 out of 100.
Where to Buy Silk Chocolate All Natural Soymilk
So buy a half-gallon carton at your favorite larger local grocer now and then. Look for it in the brown, yellow, and white carton with the brown near the top, with the blue Silk logo on the front, and with the white cap, in the refrigerated dairy section. Do your health a favor and check out this low-saturated-fat alternative to chocolate flavored dairy milk.
- 2015-01-16: Moved this post to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, revised tag and category assignments, fixed typos, and adjusted ad placements.
- 2012-03-28: Originally published.