Over the past couple years, I’ve purchased Stonyfield Organic Fat Free Milk. The label says that this product is USDA certified organic, ultra pasteurized, and has vitamins A and D3 as additives. I’ve consumed many hundreds of gallons of name brand skim milk products in decades past, and thus, have a good idea of what tasty-yet-fat-free milk should taste like. I find this organic skim milk roughly equivalent to Horizon and and others of the best name brand organic fat free milk products. I like most, the Stonyfield skim milk flavor. It’s the best-tasting, thirst-quenching organic milk treat right from a glass. Even on my cereal, which is the place where I consume by far the most organic skim milk, this brand is every bit as satisfying as Horizon and may taste slightly better in fact.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- At roughly $3.94 per half-gallon carton, this fat free milk is priced on par with other name brand organic milk products in the stores I’ve checked out, such as the Horizon brand.
- This organic milk product contains only two additives; including vitamins A and D3. This brand does not have added DHA omega-3 fatty acids.
- Is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and I believe that its taste therefore, is far less impacted by the leeching plastic compounds from the bottle that get into the milk, that often destroy the milk’s gently sweet yet very mild flavor.
- The carton also protects the organic milk from excessive exposure to light, which can affect its flavor as well as nutritional values.
- Contains 90 calories per one-cup serving; significantly less calories than whole milk, and it has virtually no fat or cholesterol. This puts this skim milk right alongside other fat free milk products in terms of nutritional values.
- Keeps for over a month and a half in the refrigerator so long as it’s kept cold. So it’s a wonderful item to stock pile.
- The flavor is mild with a slight creamy taste, but no more so than other skim milk brands I’ve sampled. In fact, it may have less of this creamy flavor than either Horizon or Great Value organic skim milk products. However, the thickness and texture of all the skim milk products I’ve tried is virtually the same. That is, all skim milks have roughly the same thickness and translucent white color.
- Stonyfield products are available at health food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart, Hometown Market, and Giant Eagle Market District here in PA.
- Though there are dietary advantages to adding the DHA omega-3 fats to products, I’m glad that this company, like Great Value, offers an organic skim milk product without any more than the required vitamin additives.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- My incessant complaint about most any organic nonfat milk product is that they typically cost quite a bit more than its non-organic counterpart. So expect to pay approximately twice the amount per half-gallon that an equal amount of non organic skim milk would set you back. This is roughly true of the Stonyfield as well as Horizon brands. However, I don’t mind very much this paying extra, as Stonyfield nonfat milk tastes so improved over that of the non organic brands in my view, and is likely healthier besides.
Organic grade A fat free milk, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3.
- Serving size: 1 cup, or 240 milliliters. Servings per container: about 8.
- Calories: 90. Calories from fat: 0.
- Total fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Saturated fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: 5 milligrams, 2% DV.
- Sodium: 125 milligrams, 5% DV.
- Potassium: 370 milligrams, 11% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 12 grams, 4% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Sugars: 12 grams.
- Protein: 8 grams.
- Vitamin A: 10% DV.
- Calcium: 30% DV.
- Vitamin C: 0% DV.
- Vitamin D: 25% DV.
- Iron: 0% DV.
In sum then, I find Stonyfield Fat Free Organic Skim Milk a decent value though it’s two times as much as non organic milk. I love it! Thus, I’d rate it an 88 out of 100. Bring the price down closer to that of mainstream skim milk, and you’ll get a perfect score from me.
Where To Buy Stonyfield Organic Fat Free Milk
Take a carton home from your favorite larger local grocer, including Walmart and Giant Eagle. Look for it in the sky-blue carton with the leisurely cows grazing in a pasture on the front, with the white cap, in the refrigerated dairy section. Do yourself a healthy favor and drink organic fat free milk. Skim milk is not “watery” anymore.
- : Added whitespace and rearranged tag and category assignments.
- 2012-03-10: Originally published.