I’ve brought home the Soy Slender Chocolate Soymilk Soymilk for review, to use as a low-fat substitute for dairy-based chocolate milk products. The carton says that this product contains just 70 calories per 8-ounce serving, and has just 1 gram of net carbs. They sweeten this product with Splenda (sucralose) instead of sugar. Sweet!
I find this chocolate soy “milk” roughly the same as dairy low-fat chocolate milk in texture. The chocolate flavor closely resembles chocolate flavored cow’s milk. I enjoy the Soy Slender brand soy drink chocolate flavor. This product is among my favorites of all the brands I’ve tried.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- While this brand does not have added DHA omega-3 fatty acids, the label indicates that it comes bundled with extra added vitamins. Plus, it is soy-based.
- No added sugar or fats here. While this drink does have 3 grams of fat per serving, that fat appears to be entirely naturally-occuring in the soybeans.
- This chocolate soy drink is made with only whole soybeans (not extracted soy proteins).
- The Hain Celestial Group, Inc., the makers of this product, say on the label that it contains 7 grams of soy protein, 33 milligrams of isoflavones, that it’s low fat and reduced calorie, that it’s an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D, and riboflavin, and that this beverage is cholesterol free.
- This soymilk alternative to cow’s milk has some additives; including sea salt, carrageenan, natural flavors, and a few vitamin additives.
- Soy Slender chocolate flavored soy drink has only 0.5 grams of saturated fat, and contains a bit of “good” fat (mono- and polyunsaturated fats), and 4 grams of fiber per serving. These great numbers suggest that this product is indeed a heart-healthy soy product.
- The packaging protects the chocolate soy drink from excessive light exposure, which can also affect its flavor as well as sap some of the nutrition.
- The medium-dark brown color of this beverage resembles that of chocolate cow’s milk. So if you’re used to drinking dairy-based chocolate milk, a transition to this soy-based drink would be pretty painless.
- No bland taste from this soy drink product. Sucralose has no aftertaste that I’ve found, and is never bitter as it appears here.
- The one-quart version of this product is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and I believe that its taste therefore, is far less affected by the leeching plastic compounds from plastic bottles that transfer to the chocolate drink inside, that can destroy its chocolaty flavor.
- Soy Slender products are available at health food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart and Giant Eagle here in PA.
- You need not refrigerate this beverage until you break its seal. Until then, it will keep well in a cool place for up to a year, according to the best-if-used-by date on my carton.
- After you open it, this Splenda-sweetened chocolate soy drink keeps for seven to ten days in the refrigerator.
- I like the color and consistency of this dairy chocolate milk replacement product. It closely resembles traditional dairy-based chocolate milk in terms of its opacity. The color is a medium, milk-chocolate-brown, and disguises the soy content quite well.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- I could only find this product in the 1-quart size. I like half-gallons myself.
- Non natural sweeteners (Splenda) used.
Organic soymilk (filtered water, whole organic soybeans), filtered water, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), natural flavors, tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, carrageenan, sucralose (Splenda brand), vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, riboflavin (vitamin B2).
- Serving size: 1 cup, or 240 milliliters. Servings per container: 4.
- Calories: 70. Calories from fat: 30.
- Total fat: 3 grams, 5% DV.
- Saturated fat: 0.5 grams, 3% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5 grams.
- Monounsaturated fat: 1 gram.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 125 milligrams, 5% DV.
- Potassium: 290 milligrams, 8% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 5 grams, 2% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 4 grams, 15% DV.
- Sugars: less than 1 gram.
- Protein: 7 grams.
- Vitamin A: 10% DV.
- Calcium: 30% DV.
- Vitamin C: 0% DV.
- Vitamin D: 25% DV.
- Iron: 10% DV.
- Riboflavin: 25%.
- Phosphorus: 25% DV.
- Magnesium: 15%.
On the whole, Soy Slender Chocolate Soymilk is a delicious value. Due to its great taste, low sugar and fat, high fiber, and economy, I’d rate this product at 94 out of 100.
Where To Buy Soy Slender Chocolate Soymilk
So buy a quart carton at your favorite larger local grocer now and then. Look for it in the brown and white carton with picture of a big and frothy glassful of the product on the front, and with the white cap, in the refrigerated dairy section.
Do your health a favor and check out this low-saturated-fat alternative to chocolate flavored dairy milk.
- Chocolate on Wikipedia
- Soy Milk on Wikipedia
- Soy Slender Website
- Where To Buy Soy Slender Chocolate Soymilk
- : Moved this post to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, revised tag and category assignments, fixed typos, and adjusted ad placements.
- 2012-06-13: Originally published.