Over the past several months, I’ve purchased Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Original Flavored Almond Drink to use as an alternative to dairy milk products. The label says that this product contains only 35 calories per 8-ounce serving, and has twice the calcium as milk. This makes it a desirable product for dieters.
I find this almond drink roughly equivalent to skim milk in texture on cereal, although it has a noticeably different flavor (almond as opposed to milk). I like most, the Silk brand almond drink flavor of the several brands that I’ve tried. It’s the best-tasting, thirst-quenching treat right from a glass. Even on my cereal, which is the place where I consume by far the most products like this one, the Silk brand is every bit as satisfying as milks like Horizon and StonyField.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- The one-half gallon version of this Silk product is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and I believe that its taste therefore, is far less impacted by the leeching plastic compounds from the bottle that get into the drink inside, that can destroy the drink’s gently sweet yet mild almond flavor.
- At roughly $3.30 per half-gallon carton, Silk brand almond drink is priced on par with other similar products I’ve looked at.
- This Silk PureAlmond product contains relatively few additives; including calcium carbonate, sea salt, locust bean, natural flavor, and several vitamin compounds. This brand does not have added DHA omega-3 fatty acids.
- Silk original flavored almond drink has no saturated fat, no cholesterol, no sugar, and contains many anti-oxidants and a bit of “good” fat.
- The packaging protects the almond drink from excessive light exposure, which can also affect its flavor as well as sap some of the nutritional values.
- Silk unsweetened almond drink keeps for two months in the refrigerator so long as it’s kept cold. So PureAlmond products are wonderful items to stock pile.
- I like the color and consistency of this product. It closely resembles milk in terms of its whiteness and opacity; though the color is a bit off-white, attesting to the almonds inside.
- With no added sugar, this product is great for diabetics in moderation.
- Silk almond drink products are available at health food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart, Hometown Market, and Giant Eagle Market District here in PA.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- With so few flavor additives, almond drink in general can taste a bit bland; especially without any sweetener at all. But I’m glad products like this are out there, since I get tired of having to search so far and wide for drink products without added sugar or artificial sweeteners. Thus, I do not mind the blandness, and I have, after a fashion, gotten used to it as I’ve consumed more of the Silk original flavored almond drink.
Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Almond Drink Ingredients
All natural almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), calcium carbonate, sea salt, locust bean gum, sunflower lecithin, gellan gum, natural flavor, d-alpha-tocopherol (natural vitamin E), zinc gluconate, vitamin A palmitate, riboflavin (B2), vitamin B12, vitamin D2.
Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Almond Drink Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cup, or 240 milliliters. Servings per container: 8. Calories: 35. Calories from fat: 25. Total fat: 2.5 grams, 4% DV. Saturated fat: 0 grams, 0% DV. Trans fat: 0 grams. Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5 grams. Monounsaturated fat: 1.5 grams. Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV. Sodium: 150 milligrams, 6% DV. Potassium: 60 milligrams, 2% DV. Total carbohydrate: 1 grams, 0% DV. Dietary fiber: 1 gram, 4% DV. Sugars: 0 grams. Protein: 1 gram. Vitamin A: 10% DV. Calcium: 45% DV. Vitamin C: 0% DV. Vitamin D: 25% DV. Riboflavin: 25% DV. Magnesium: 4% DV. Copper: 2% DV. Phosphorous: 2% DV. Iron: 4% DV. Vitamin E: 50% DV. Vitamin B12: 50% DV. Zinc: 10% DV. Manganese: 4% DV.
Rating For Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Almond Drink
In sum then, I find Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Original Flavored Almond Drink a decent value. I love it. and would rate it at 100 out of 100.
Where To Buy Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Almond Drink
So take a carton home from your favorite larger local grocer. Look for it in the blue and white carton with the red near the top, with the white cap, in the refrigerated dairy section. Do your body a favor and check out this very low-calorie alternative to fat-free milk.
- Almond Milk on Wikipedia
- Silk Products Web Site
- Where to Buy Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened Almond Drink
- 2015-01-21: Added whitespace and a References section, adjusted category and tag assignments, rearranged ad appearances, and fixed some typos.
- 2012-03-15: Originally published.