Over the past week or two, I’ve bought Silk PureAlmond Dark Chocolate All Natural Almond Drink to use as an alternative to dairy-based chocolate milk products. The carton says that this product contains only 120 calories per 8-ounce serving, and has twice the calcium as dairy milk. However, I’d tend to avoid this product if I was on a diet, as the added sugar (though it is cane juice) makes this chocolate almond drink quite addictive to me.
I find this dark chocolate almond drink roughly the same as dairy low-fat chocolate milk in its texture. The chocolate flavor is very much like chocolate flavored cow’s milk. I like most, the Silk brand almond drink dark chocolate flavor of the brands I’ve tried. Silk is the best-tasting, thirst-quenching treat right from a glass.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- While this brand does not have added DHA omega-3 fatty acids, he label states that it comes bundled with extra anti-oxidants.
- At roughly $3.18 per half-gallon carton, Silk brand chocolate almond drink is priced on par with other similar products I’ve tested.
- This Silk PureAlmond chocolate milk alternative has some additives; including calcium carbonate, sea salt, locust bean, natural vanilla and chocolate flavors, and several vitamin compounds.
- Silk chocolate flavored almond drink has no saturated fat, no cholesterol, and contains many anti-oxidants and a bit of “good” fat. However, it does contain 22 grams of sugar per serving. So be careful not to over indulge too much.
- The packaging protects the almond drink from excessive light exposure, which can also affect its flavor as well as sap some of the nutrition.
- This Silk chocolate-flavored almond drink products are available at health food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart and Giant Eagle here in PA.
- Silk sweetened chocolate almond drink keeps for nearly two months in the refrigerator so long as you keep it cold. So PureAlmond products are wonderful items to stock pile.
- I like the color and consistency of this chocolate milk replacement product. It closely resembles traditional dairy-based chocolate milk in terms of its opacity. The color is dark brown, and disguises the almond content quite well.
- No bland taste from this almond drink product from Silk. The added chocolate, vanilla, and sugar take care of that problem quite deliciously.
- The one-half gallon version of this Silk product is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and I believe that its taste therefore, is far less degraded by the leeching plastic compounds from plastic bottles that transfer to the chocolate drink inside, that can destroy its chocolaty almond flavor.
Cons, Disadvantages, Problems, and Concerns
- Diabetics should monitor their blood sugar readings when consuming this product, as it contains significant amounts of sugar. To get a lower glycemic index and make this product more suitable for diabetics, Silk might use pure agave nectar to sweeten this chocolate almond drink rather than the cane juice.
- Due to the sugar (I think), it’s easy to consume too many calories via this product. Indeed, this product tests one’s resolve to consume in moderation thus. It’s got a delicious and addictive chocolate flavor.
In the main then, I think that Silk PureAlmond Dark Chocolate All Natural Almond Drink is a delicious, high value. I really enjoy it, and would rate this almond beverage at 89 out of 100.
Where To Buy Silk PureAlmond Dark Chocolate Almond Drink
So buy a half-gallon carton at your favorite larger local grocer once in a while. Look for it in the blue, brown and white carton with the brown near the top, with the white cap, in the refrigerated dairy section. Do your health some good and check out this very low-calorie, no saturated fat alternative to chocolate flavored dairy milk.
- 2015-01-22: Added whitespace, revised content and ad placement, added a references section, and fixed some typos.
- 2012-03-18: Originally published.