In the latest batch of limited edition Pringles chips flavors, we find the Pringles Franks RedHot Wing Buffalo Limited Time Potato Crisps, in the 6.38 ounce can. These taste much like real Buffalo chicken wings. Well, less like the chicken and more like the buttery hot sauce that flavors the wings. Easily recognized as a Buffalo wing imitation. This tangy red-orange chip adds a twist of delicious Buffalo spice to any snack occasion.
Advantages, Pros, Benefits, and Features
- The orange and yellow can visually shouts Buffalo Wing Sauce, and sports a picture of a bottle of Frank’s RedHot wing sauce turned upside down, over one of the chips, presumably to flavor it like Buffalo wings.
- No change has been made to the can packaging used in this Pringles flavor.
- A delicately balanced harmony of flavors here, including cayenne red peppers, Habanero peppers, salt, butter, garlic, onion, and vinegar. More natural than artificial.
- Upon opening the can, I noted a strong peppery scent. The onion, garlic, and butter are much more subdued, and in fact, you may not even become aware of them until you actually munch a chip.
- The chips, canned as they are here, will remain fresh for a year, according to the best-if-used-by date on the bottom of the can. This date was easy to find and to read, unlike so many other products I’ve reviewed lately.
- After opening, the chips keep for the better part of a month, as long as you keep the lid on, and do not store them in overly humid environments.
- They have a grainy, sand paper feel. Rather rough. But the roughness quickly breaks down once they’re in your mouth.
- Try dipping the chips into some real wing sauce if you desire an increase in the overall Buffalo taste. Or, to really intensify the wings experience, try dipping into bleu cheese dip or dressing. Delicious!
- Cost of the product was reasonable, at $1.50 per 6.38 ounce can.
- My can was extremely fresh and the chips, quite snappy and crunchy. So crunchy in fact, that they qualify as brittle.
- The size and weight of the can is easy to store and handle. It is highly durable, although it works best to protect the chips inside when it is full. Once you’ve eaten half of it, avoid jostling it much, as excessive top-to-bottom motion will crack the crisps.
- Easy to find a store that sells this Pringles product.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- Notably high sodium here, at 270 milligrams per serving; typical of Buffalo wing-flavored foods.
- The chips are too thin and weak. Not good for dipping. But then again, you may not wish to dip them, as they come fully equipped with satisfying spicy flavor and heat.
- The Buffalo wing flavor here is conservative. It could accommodate a bit more peppery heat.
- Fat and sugar levels in this product are typical of the rest of the Pringles potato chips line. However, the level of sodium is rather high in comparison. This is one of the saltiest Pringles flavors I’ve sampled. The sugar is well-disguised however.
- Get rid of the food dyes, I ask, and lower the sodium.
- Not much here in the way of fiber. Perhaps they could get more, if they added a bit of potato skin.
- This product is highly addictive and easy to eat too much of. Not sure though, if that’s because of the chemicals or just that it tastes so good. It really does taste wonderful.
Dried potatoes, vegetable oil (contains one or more of the following: corn oil, cottonseed oil, soybean oil, and / or sunflower oil), corn flour, wheat starch, and maltodextrin. Contains less than 2% of: Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce powder, (distilled vinegar, aged cayenne red peppers, salt, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, paprika, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate preservative), paprika extract (color), natural butter flavor, mono- and di-glycerides, guar gum, polysorbate 60, garlic powder, tocopherol (vitamin E), ascorbyl palmitate, citric acid, maltodextrin, natural flavor), rice flour, salt, sodium diacetate, garlic powder, monosodium glutamate (MSG), dextrose, natural and artificial flavor, sugar, paprika extract (color), acetic acid, yellow 6 lake, red 40 lake, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, and canola oil.
Contains wheat and milk ingredients.
- Serving size: 1 ounce (28 grams, approximately 15 crisps). Servings per container: approximately 6.
- Calories per serving: 150. Calories from fat: 80.
- Total fat: 9 grams, 14% DV.
- Saturated fat: 2.5 grams, 13% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.5 grams.
- Monounsaturated fat: 2 grams.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 270 milligrams, 11% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 15 grams, 5% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 1 gram, 4% DV.
- Sugars: 1 gram.
- Protein: 1 gram.
- Vitamin A: 0% DV.
- Calcium: 0% DV.
- Vitamin C: 6% DV.
- Iron: 0% DV.
If you want genuine Buffalo wing flavor but want to spare yourself the cost and calories of genuine, deep-fried Buffalo wings, then try this Buffalo-flavored product. It’s not overly hot, has a pronounced buttery flavor, and smells much like an authentic hot wings restaurant. This snack is an excellent stand-in for real Buffalo wings. So, we’d rate this limited edition snack 96 out of 100.
Where To Buy Pringles Franks RedHot Wing Buffalo Potato Crisps 6.38 Oz.
Look for them in the yellow, red, orange, and white 6.38-ounce can with the semi-clear lid, at your favorite larger grocery center or convenience store. I got my copy at a nearby Walmart super center. They’re also widely available on eBay and Amazon.
- Pringles on Wikipedia
- Pringles website
- Where To Buy Pringles Franks RedHot Wing Buffalo Potato Crisps
- : Moved this piece to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, tweaked content, and adjusted ad placement and category and tag assignments.
- 2012-09-07: Originally published.