They carry this Galliker’s Slim n Trim Fat Free Milk at a nearby 24-hour convenience store. S when I find myself low on my organic skim milk products, I’ll often hop, skip, and jump over to that store and buy a carton of this product, to tide me over until my next trip to Walmart. I use Slim n Trim milk for cereal, pancakes, and for straight-from-the-glass fat free milk enjoyment. Recently, I ran out of my Stonyfield milk, and so, had an opportunity to try Galliker’s milk.
This is a run-of-the-mill skim milk in terms of taste, calorie content, and appearance. It’s definitely thinner than whole or lowfat milks. Indeed, recent converts from whole to skim milk, might describe this product as “watery.” However, I’m a veteran skim milk drinker, and have long-since come to see this consistency as “normal” for milk. In fact, when I temporarily switch back to whole milk, it tastes excessively creamy to me now. So while this non fat milk product may at first seem watery, experience shows that one gets used to it after a few weeks, much as one acquires a taste for beer. The taste may seem weird in the interim. But the health benefits of Slim n Trim skim milk over whole milk are clear. So I’d say it’s worth it to endure that short-lived watery taste of skim milk to acquire the good taste as well as the health benefits of it.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- The label says that this product is grade A, pasteurized, homogenized, and has vitamins A and D3.
- Galliker dairy is based in Johnstown, PA, which is less than a two hour drive from here. So the milk does not travel far to reach the convenience store down the road here, and that shows up in its fresh taste.
- This is packaged in a carton; not a plastic bottle, and its taste therefore, is far less impacted by the leeching plastic compounds from the bottle, that often destroy the milk’s gently sweet yet mild flavor.
- The carton also protects the milk from excessive exposure to light, which can affect its flavor as well as nutritional content though it’s not as dense as other cartons I’v examined. So it allows more light to reach the milk. But I’ve noticed no ill effects to the taste.
- This milk contains 90 calories per one-cup serving; significantly less than whole milk, and it has virtually no fat or cholesterol. This puts this Slim n Trim skim milk on par with other fat free milks in terms of nutritional values.
- The flavor offers a gentle hint of cream. No concentrated or artificial flavors found here.
- No artificial colors. You get this creamy taste in a thin beverage.
- The thickness and texture of this brand match most other brands I’ve tried.
- Galliker milk products are available at food and bigger grocery stores like Walmart, Hometown Market, and Giant Eagle Market District here in PA and surrounding states.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- The packing is quite retro in that you must pull apart flaps on the top to open, just like cartons from the 1970s and 1980s. You’ll find no plastic pull-off seal, nor any screw-on cap on the one-quart carton. To close this carton, you just fold the flaps together. But unlike today’s plastic caps, this method of closure does not prevent spills, should you accidentally knock an open carton from the refrigerator while fetching it.
- The product spoils quickly compared with organic nonfat milk, as the sell-by date on my carton was only a week out from the day I purchased it. Non organic milk products like this one, do not keep nearly as long as their organic counterparts.
Fat free milk, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3.
- Serving size: 1 cup, or 240 milliliters. Servings per container: 4.
- Calories: 90. Calories from fat: 0.
- Total fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Saturated fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: less than 5 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 130 milligrams, 5% DV.
- Potassium: 420 milligrams, 12% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 13 grams, 4% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Sugars: 12 grams.
- Protein: 9 grams.
- Vitamin A: 10% DV.
- Calcium: 30% DV.
- Vitamin C: 4% DV.
- Vitamin D: 25% DV.
- Iron: 0% DV.
This fat free milk is a pretty good value. It’s significantly cheaper than organic skim milk, and its flavor is not too different. It costs much less but only tastes a little less like the ultimate skim milk (organic fat free milk). So, this is a great substitute for my Stonyfield organic fat free milk when I run out but it’s too early in the week to make a day trip up to Walmart. Given all of that, I’d rate this Galliker skim milk at 92 out of 100.
Where To Buy Galliker’s Slim n Trim Fat Free Milk
Take a carton home from your favorite larger local grocer in PA and surrounding states, including Walmart and Giant Eagle. Look for it in the bright orange, pink, and white carton with the large white letters and the Galliker quality check symbol, in the refrigerated dairy section.
- Fat Free Skim Milk on Wikipedia
- Galliker’s Dairy Website
- Where To Buy Galliker’s Slim n Trim Fat Free Milk
- : Adjusted category and tag assignments, fixed typos, and added whitespace.
- 2012-06-16: Originally published.