This So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk, is worse than the sweetened version (reviewed here) in terms of taste, in my view.
While it resembles white dairy milk in terms of its color, texture, and opacity, it tastes less rich than even fat-free milk, and its flavor is reminiscent of the aloe vera juice that I used to drink in the 1990s. I stopped drinking that because I hated it, and I hate the taste of this product as well. But I can usually find some good things to say about items, even when I do not like them.
Benefits, Advantages, Pros, and Features
- USDA certified organic.
- Soy and dairy free.
- They’ve enriched this drink. So it supplies significant quantities of calcium, magnesium, vitamins A, D2, B12, selenium, and folic acid.
- This coconut milk product need not be refrigerated until after opening it for the first time. At that point though, it should be kept cold to maximize its shelf life.
- The medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) contained herein, are not readily stored in the body as fat, according to the label, but used as immediate energy instead.
- Non GMO project verified.
- Since this is an unsweetened coconut milk beverage, it contains just 45 calories per serving (about 25 calories less per 1-cup serving than the sweetened version).
- No added sugar.
Disadvantages, Concerns, Problems, and Cons
- Tastes nothing like coconut to me. In fact, its flavor is somewhat bitter and “planty.”
- Lots of saturated fat here, at 4 grams per serving, although the label indicates that around 60% of this fat consists of the MCFAs.
Organic coconut milk (water, organic coconut cream), calcium phosphate, magnesium phosphate, carrageenan, guar gum, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2, L-selenomethionine (selenium), zinc oxide, folic acid, vitamin B12.
- Serving size: 1 cup, or 240 millilitres. Servings per container: 4.
- Calories: 45. Calories from fat: 40.
- Total fat: 4.5 grams, 7% DV.
- Saturated fat: 4 grams, 20% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, 0% DV.
- Sodium: 15 milligrams, 1% DV.
- Potassium: 65 milligrams, 2% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 2 grams, 1% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 1 gram, 4% DV.
- Sugars: 1 gram.
- Protein: 0 grams.
- Vitamin A: 10% DV.
- Calcium: 10% DV.
- Vitamin C: 0% DV.
- Vitamin D: 30% DV.
- Vitamin B12: 50% DV.
- Zinc: 4% DV.
- Iron: 4% DV.
- Folate: 5% DV.
- Magnesium: 10% DV.
- Selenium: 8% DV.
I disliked this product strongly. It has no sweetness whatsoever that I could taste. This makes it rather bitter,and offers none of the uniquely fruity and nutty coconut taste that I so like in coconut water. I’d rate it thus at 30 out of 100.
Where to Buy So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
Available at larger grocery and health food stores. I found mine at Walmart.
Look for this beverage in the green, black, and white quart-carton with a picture of the coconut drink being poured into a coconut half on the front.
- : Adjusted category and tag assignments, fixed typos, and added white space.
- 2012-08-19: Originally published.