I’ve drunk Great Value Vegetable Drink for a year or so to help assure that I’m getting some of the recommended daily servings of vegetables. This product simplifies the routine consumption of healthy vegetables, though it does have significant levels of salt that’s found in numerous vegetable juice products.
Largely tomato-based, this eight-vegetable juice, which is Walmart’s version of V8 juice, is packed full of vitamins A and C, and provides two servings of vegetables per 8-ounce serving. I like it.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- With its sugar content so low, not only is Great Value vegetable drink not addictive in my opinion, but it’s a much better alternative to pop and sugar-laden fruit juices. It can lower your triglycerides and raise your HDL (good) cholesterol when taken in place of these other beverages.
- While I did not immediately develop an affinity for vegetable juice in general, I now enjoy its low-spice vegetable flavor of this drink.
- This juice product retains its “brand new” flavor and look for over a year in a cool, dry place. No need to refrigerate until after opening. Once opened, it keeps in the refrigerator for seven to ten days.
- I had consumed the original salt-added version of V8 for some years back in the 1990s. This Great Value offering tastes largely like that V8 product and is a few cents cheaper besides. Though not exactly the same, the differences made no difference to my pallate. I like them both equally.
- This nutritious vegetable drink gives you eight different vegetables, including tomatoes, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, and spinach. Tomato dominates, and there are no onions or garlic to sour your breath. So this juice is great refresher during a work break, particularly if after the break, you must go to meetings in cramped and small conference rooms with lots of other people attending.
- This juice has 2 grams of fiber per serving and a modest 8 grams of sugar; all of which is naturally-occurring. There is no fat of any kind, which makes this product great for heart-healthy diets.
- It’s a great source of potassium, which can counteract some of the sodium from other sources that you consume in your diet, and help lower your blood pressure.
- This drink provides just 50 calories per serving, which is just over half the calories in a cup of fat free skim milk.
- While this vegetable juice is cooked prior to bottling, and thus stripped of some of the nutrition that you’d otherwise get if you ate fresh vegetables, I believe that consuming this vegetable drink from Great Value brand is still a better health alternative to soda fountain drinks and other heavily sugar-sweetened beverages..
- True. Eating fresh vegetables would be most ideal. But drinking Great Value vegetable drink is by no means a bad choice when you cannot do the fresh vegetables thing. You get most of the nutrition of fresh vegetables without the concern about the fresh vegetables going bad if you fail to eat them in the next few days.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, Concerns, and Improvement Suggestions
- This product is only available at Walmart stores.
- It also contains a good deal of sodium (420 milligrams per serving).
- I favor glass bottles, and so, wish that Walmart (the distributor of this product), would arrange to package this vegetable juice in glass.
- Being that much of the bottle is clear, there’s the advantage of actually seeing the product inside. However, this also exposes the vegetable drink to the bright lights in many stores, which can adversely impact the flavor after long exposure. So keep your vegetable drink in a cool, dry, and dark place for maximum flavor retention and minimal spoilage.
Great Value Vegetable Drink Rating
In short, though it took some time to develop a taste for vegetable juices, I eventually did. Today, I find that this mild-flavored yet thick drink quite effectively subsides thirst without either added sugar or fat. I would therefore highly recommend that you incorporate this vegetable juice into your healthy life style routines. I’d rate this product at 88 out of 100.
Where To Buy Great Value Vegetable Drink
At Walmart only, either at an actual store or online, look for Great Value Vegetable Drink in the clear plastic 64-ounce bottle with the blue cap and the white label that has a picture of some of the vegetables contained within and the Great Value logo prominently displayed on the front.
- : Added whitespace and extended the References section, adjusted ad placement, reworked category and tag assignments, and tweaked the content.
- 2012-04-19: Originally published.