Great Value Teriyaki Beef Jerky I found at Walmart while seeking other beef snack products for review. I’ve since tasted pieces from a jumbo-sized 6.2 ounce 176 grams resealable bag, and feel that this beef jerky, though not hot-tasting at all, is still quite good over all, especially given its somewhat cheaper price. Its smoked-flavored beef strips are long, extra thick, and plenty chewy with their mild teriyaki taste. No bits of spices I found on the surface of the meat strips. However, curiously, there actually were crumbs of beef at the bottom of the bag. But not much shedding occurs while eating this snack. So you needn’t eat it over a plate to enjoy it without worry.
This is a low-fat, low-carb snack food. But don’t go wacky munching it, as it still contains considerable sodium as well as nitrites. But for an easy-to-store snack at work or on a long bus ride, this teriyaki beef jerky is an excellent food companion. It will not make you sleepy as the heavily-sugared treats often do, and it’s hard to eat fast since it’s so chewy. This allows your body time to realize that it’s filling up before you actually overeat. You have to work a smidgen to fully consume this modestly spicy snack food.
Benefits, Pros, Advantages, and Features
- Since these beef pieces are thicker and longer, this food requires more effort and time swallow. So we’re encouraged to eat more slowly, as dietitians would like. The good taste makes savoring this snack quite enjoyable as well.
- This beef jerky is mildly spiced and has a decidedly smoked flavor. This spiciness makes this dried meat stand out from other beef sticks and other beef jerkies. Though the label does not say specifically, the most prominent spice herein, is the smoked flavoring. The teriyaki taste is rather weak.
- This form of preserved beef requires refrigeration only after you open it for the first time, and only then, if you want to keep it longer than several days.
- Beef jerky is well-known for its durability in hot zones, as military men and women make beef jerky part of their usual back pack food rations when heading for the battlefield. It lacks crunch, so can be swallowed quietly. Plus, the salt within helps replace salt lost through sweating.
- No bone fragments in this snack found. Great Value does an excellent job of disposing all that unwanted stuff.
- This prepared meat has a pleasant and subtle teriyaki aroma that duplicates the actual taste closely. So smelling this snack indeed entices the mouth to water, as the scent forecasts the awesome taste experience to come.
- Teriyaki jerky is a low-fat food with just 1 gram of fat per serving, and zero of those grams is saturated fat.
- It’s also low carb, at 5 grams, and this slightly sweet-tasting snack is high in protein at 14 grams per serving.
- Over all, it’s a low-fat, low-carb, high-protein taste treat with a lingering bite.
- I had no trouble working the resealable bag were encountered. Sometimes with some of these bagged foods, the zipper part separates from the bag sides, creating a hole that totally nullifies the freshness-retaining effects of this zipper. Not so here.
- Any remnants of the flavor on the lips and in the mouth fade quickly after finished eating this snack. There’s no hot spice to linger.
Disadvantages, Cons, Problems, and Concerns
- I wish other stores besides Walmart sold this brand of food.
- Like most products of this type, this beef jerky leaves little stringy pieces stuck in the teeth quite often that require brushing or flossing to expunge.
- Most beef jerky products, like Great Value beef jerky, are highly processed snack foods, with a large list of undesirable food additives, including sugar, monosodium glutamate, and sodium nitrite.
- It’s also somewhat high in total sodium at 630 milligrams per serving. This sodium amount makes the grade of this product, a once-in-a-while-only enjoyment, though its deliciously satisfying not-too-sweet spice, smoke, and beef flavors might induce you to eat it more often than desired. Yet if you’re working in hot environments, eating this a few times throughout your workday would help refurbish your body salt and quell your hunger too.
- Get that sugar out of here, please.
Beef, water, sugar. Less than 2% of dried soy sauce (soybeans, salt, wheat), salt, fructose, maltodextrin, monosodium glutamate, hydrolyzed corn protein, flavoring, sodium erythorbate, paprika extract, sodium nitrite. Allergy Warning: Contains: wheat and soy.
- Serving size: 1 ounce, 28 grams. Servings per container: 6.
- Amount per serving: Calories: 80. Calories from fat: 10.
- Total fat: 1 gram, 2% DV.
- Saturated fat: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Trans fat: 0 grams.
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0 grams.
- Monounsaturated fat: 0 grams.
- Cholesterol: 20 milligrams, 7% DV.
- Sodium: 630 milligrams, 26% DV.
- Potassium: 170 milligrams, 4% DV.
- Total carbohydrate: 5 grams, 2% DV.
- Dietary fiber: 0 grams, 0% DV.
- Sugars: 5 grams.
- Protein: 14 grams, 28% DV.
- Vitamin A: 0% DV.
- Calcium: 0% DV.
- Folic acid: 0%.
- Vitamin C: 0% DV.
- Iron: 8% DV.
I’d recommend highly this Great Value Teriyaki Beef Jerky given its mostly healthy nutritional figures, it’s somewhat cheaper cost, and it’s medium-level but not excessive sweetness. I’d rate this snack food at 94 out of 100.
Where To Buy Great Value Teriyaki Beef Jerky
Look for this beef jerky exclusively at any Walmart grocery store or super center. It comes in a white bag with a deep orange strip across the front with the face of a cow inside that strip, and it has the blue and white text, that appears on most every Great Value product label. The bag also has a small window on the front that facilitates consumer inspection of the beef jerky inside.
- : Moved this post to the Tom’s Diet Quest blog, added whitespace, adjusted ad placement, and tweaked the content.
- 2012-05-14: Originally published.