I’ve drunk V8 Low Sodium Original Flavor Vegetable Juice for over a decade now as a means to assure that I’m getting at least some of the recommended daily servings of vegetables in my diet. This product eases the consumption of healthy vegetables, and skips all that salt that’s found in so many other similar bottled vegetable juice products. Largely tomato-based, this eight-vegetable juice (V8) is packed full of vitamins A and C, and provides two servings of vegetables per 8-ounce serving.
Benefits and Features
- While I did not immediately develop an affinity for V8 low-sodium juice, I now enjoy its low-spice vegetable flavor.
- This product is very easy to find in your grocer’s non-refrigerated juices section.
- This juice product keeps well for over a year in a cool, dry place. No need to refrigerate it until after you’ve opened it. Once opened, it will keep well in the refrigerator for seven to ten days.
- Campbell’s V8 vegetable juice gives you eight different vegetables, including tomatoes, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, and spinach. Tomato is the dominant flavor. No onions or garlic to foul your breath.
- V8 vegetable juice has 2 grams of fiber per serving and a modest 8 grams of sugar; some of which is naturally-occurring. There is no fat of any kind within. Great for heart-healthy diets.
- With its sugar content so low, not only is V8 very non addictive in my view, but it’s a great alternative to pop and sugar-laden fruit juices. It can help lower your triglycerides when consumed in place of these other beverages.
- It’s a great source of potassium, which can counteract some of the sodium from other sources that you consume in your diet, and help lower your blood pressure.
- V8 juice is just 50 calories per serving, which is just over half the calories in a cup of fat free skim milk.
- While this vegetable juice (that appears to be mostly tomato juice) is cooked prior to bottling, and thus stripped of some of the nutrition that you’d otherwise get if you ate fresh vegetables, I believe that drinking this cooked vegetable juice is still a better health alternative to soda fountain drinks and other heavily sugar-sweetened beverages.
- I had consumed the original salt-added version of V8 for some years prior to switching to this low sodium version. While at first I deemed the flavor of the juice without the salt as quite bland, I grew to prefer it over time; particularly as further information about the negative effects of too much dietary salt have come to light.
- Those watching their high blood pressure will appreciate the low-sodium version of this product, as do I.
- True. Eating fresh vegetables would be the nutritional ideal. But drinking V8 is by no means a bad second alternative. You get most of the nutrition of fresh vegetables without so much worry about the fresh vegetables going bad if you do not eat them up in the next few days to a week.
- I prefer glass bottles, and so, wish that Campbell’s (the maker of V8 juice products), packaged this vegetable juice in glass.
- There is a trifle of added sugar. They should nix this.
- Being that much of the bottle is clear, there’s the advantge of being able to actually see the product inside. However, this also exposes the vegetable juice to the bright lights in most grocery stores these days, which can adversely affect the flavor over time. Keep you V8 in a cool, dry, and generally dark place.
Rating For V8 Low Sodium Vegetable Juice
Finally, though it took some time to develop a taste for this low-salt vegetable juice product, I eventually did, and now find that this mild-flavored yet thick juice product quite effectively quenches thirst without either added sugar or fat. I would highly recommend that you make V8 Low Sodium Original Flavor Vegetable Juice a part of your healthy diet and life style. I’d rate this drink at 96 out of 100 therefore.
Where To Buy V8 Low Sodium Vegetable Juice
Look for V8 low sodium 100% vegetable juice in the clear plastic 64-ounce bottle with the green cap and the white label that has a picture of some of the vegetables contained in the product. You’ll find it at bigger grocery stores and some health food stores as well. Enjoy it while at the same time eating healthy.